Living and Learning

Pietro Magni, The Reading Girl at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.


Today, I feel as pensive as this sculpture of The Reading Girl I saw today at the National Gallery of Art. This trip has been intense in so many different ways. I have learned so much about myself as a person, a woman of color, and as an artist. I have met wonderful activists and organizers who stand for positive change in the immigration front. I even met with an alumni from Inner-City Filmmakers who gave me direct and sound advice about the next decisions in my life. So in a nutshell:

Things I learned on this trip:

  • Follow your intuition.
  • Always put your name on your work.
  • Work with people you like.
  • Network with people you like.
  • Surround yourself with people who help you succeed. 
  • Continue to make art that is meaningful to you and that you feel supports your community.
  • Be passionate about the work you do. 

This is the time for me. I have to decide what comes next: grad school, film/tv industry, writing, or travel. I have to decide and it's solely my decision. But the most important thing I learned on this trip is that I am ready for the next adventure, and the one after that, and the one after that. I am ready to push myself to the next level. 

Thank you D.C. You provided clarity.    Time to fly.


National Gallery of Art: http://www.nga.gov

Popular Posts