Screaming Back Stage & Life Machine Reviews


WRITES ABOUT LIFE MACHINE!

I have been having a blast on The Life Machine! Honestly, it's like playing dress up with a bunch of old UC Berkeley friends and some new actors friends--who I've had the pleasure of getting to know. The show has been received by three crowds now, and there are three performances left! Come and join the weird technology fun! This show is an hour and a half of video projection, lights, dance, stage craft, and talent on one performance stage. So if you're up to speed on your twenty kinds of social network accounts, this show is definitely for you. It's pretty wild to be in, and I can only imagine what it's like to see it. Sometimes I wish I could step out of my body during the opening scene to see this world come to life, but a las, I am up there with my fellow dance pals shaking away at the vibrating sound of our imaginary cell phones.

I have to say that one of my favorite things about the show is a ritual Cole Ferraiuolo, the director, has created before each performance. We are all in the upstairs studio of the Danzhaus aka Gingerbread House screaming our lungs out before he walks in. It's about an hour before the show, and you might see a dancer stretch at a bar, another one rolling on the floor, an actor jumping up and down an hollering like a banshee, while another recites the caterpillars speech from C.S. Lewis' Alice In Wonderland (God I love actors). Meanwhile, everyone's trying to fight a cold. Cole walks in and we take a moment to breathe, speak, and see each other. Gradually we all become present. It's a great centering exercise that I am putting it in my back pocket. Great stuff.

And today the Daily Cal wrote a piece about The Life Machine. There may be some slight spoilers, but if you don't let that affect you, I say read it. It's an interesting perspective on the performance. I am curious to know what you think of the show, so if you do come -- please stop me and let me know.

Daily Cal Article: http://www.dailycal.org/2013/11/03/life-machine-play-modern-monstrosities/

Comments