Exciting Summer: tomorrow a wedding and a few hours later -- Dance on Land!

Tomorrow I will be filming a dear friend's wedding ceremony. I was incredibly nervous about it up until yesterday, when I managed to get a glimpse of the space where the filming will take place. It is such a beautiful space! The moment I stepped on the grass I felt incredibly familiar and connected with it. All the anxious nerves became happy nerves full of excitement. There is so much potential, so much available nooks and crannies, so much nature and old architecture to play with -- I fell in love. So tomorrow, my entire day and video skills will be dedicated it to this amazing experience that my friend is having. I am honored.

Speaking of amazing experiences of union, there is also another cool thing I am doing this upcoming week. My dear friend and dance partner in crime, Robyn Taylor, posted a video of herself doing a workshop last summer. I watched it out of curiosity and became increasingly intrigued. The video showcases people dancing with nature - literally dancing with rocks, fields and talking about things that I haven't thought about since I was a child.

The discussion in the video also began to fuel inquiries about technology. Everyday I sit in front of a computer either to do administrative work, edit or write. Hours upon hours of sitting and using brain fuel in a sedentary way. It's been very bad for my body, especially since I've been trained in Laban/Bartenieff Movement Analysis. Now I can pinpoint problem areas and physically tell what is wrong with me. Sometimes I bounce, shake my core, or take deep breathes to connect with my organs and center. At my office work I had to bring in juggling balls to help me with my Cross-Lateral Body Pattern movement; to also to help stimulate both sides of my brain--the creative and analytic.

By the time the end of the video rolls around I'm thinking to myself -- I need this. I need to step away from my computer and just be a child again. Because when I was a child, I did not question my relationship with nature--we were buddies. I played hide and seek with bushes and trees, painted pictures with water and mud, collected shells from the ocean and glued family photos on them to give away as gifts. I mean, what happened?

Now, don't get me wrong -- I love my technology. But lately it's starting to feel like an unnatural and incessant lamp beside my face that won't shut off. And frankly, I could use a little dark ages to get me back into my bones.

Robyn, I will see you soon and we will be dancing on land!

Click here to learn more about inkBoat.

Comments