Finding a teatro community in Los Angeles with Casa 0101 Theater


I was introduced to Casa 0101 Theater through an actress friend, and found out that it was run by Artistic Director, Josefina Lopez, writer of the play "Real Women Have Curves." My friend informed me that it was a wonderful creative space for mujeres in the arts. Naturally, I looked into it because I love spaces where mujeres of color can develop their artistic voices. In the process, I found out that Casa 0101 Theater is a great space for everyone: for the young, the vintage, and all genders! A place where creativity thrives and community is nourished. A place to create, gather, and meet other artists with similar likes.

Since June this summer, I've been taking writing classes galore at Casa. I began with the Intro to Playwriting with Juan Carlos Parrilla, this summer--and it's so great I am taking it again this fall. I started Screenwriting class with the Josefina Lopez last week, and I am participating in "Chicanas, Cholas y Chisme" headed by Claudia Duran and Lindsey Haley. Check out their website if you are interested in learning more about their classes. Casa 0101 Theater has helped me get back to writing at full force. They challenge writers to develop new work, and ask us to pay attention to what we want to say with our writing. What's your voice? What's your favorite genre? What books and movies do you enjoy? All these things can help the writer think about their personal style.

I've been creating new work, and enjoying the writing exercises provided that help develop characters and plots. The best part (for me) is workshopping the writing. Listening to other people read your writing is so important. It helps me find the holes in my story, and it also provides moments of inspiration through other people's questions or suggestions. Casa 0101 Theater also gives students the opportunity to audition for shows on their MainStage. Which I also did!

When I went back to Perú in July, I saw an email with an Audition Call for a new play called "Drunk Girl." It is written by Josefina Lopez, with additional plays by Libette Garcia ("Drunk Girl") and Rocio Diaz ("Pink Scars"). The night I returned to Los Angeles, I came home, ate dinner, and drove straight to the theater. I auditioned for "Drunk Girl" with my grandmother in my heart the entire time.

I was fortunate enough to get cast in the show. "Drunk Girl" will always have a special place in my heart. The experience of it reminded me how writing has the power to change minds and teach people new ideas by challenging their perceptions. I am starting to realize that the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is a fallacy. I've been approached by friends of all ages multiple times who have something to say about the performance. They tell me their favorite message in the show, or their favorite scene that signified something valuable to them.

The play is about rape culture. It has comedy, monologues, sketches, and even a musical number. It was a monumental experience that touched both my professional and personal life in a deep way. The video above will give you a sneak peak at what it felt like to be part of "Drunk Girl." I hope this show continues being the topic on conversation in many households. I hope people put the show up on their campuses and theaters across the nation and beyond. I know this is not the end of "Drunk Girl," and I feel fortunate to have been part of its origins.

Casa 0101 Theater has made the transition into the Los Angeles art scene a warm experience. I have a new teatro community, a writing workshop circle, and new creative friends. Suddenly, coming back to Los Angeles isn't so scary anymore. My home was starting to feel familiar again.


For cast and crew details about "Drunk Girl" click here.

Check out this new podcast series: CASA 0101 PODCAST


Comments