Urban Legends: CIRCUS sans politique April 25-May 27 @ Atwater Village Theater

The cast of #UTMCircus: (back to front, L-R) Dyane Pascall, Juan Amador,
Andrew Adams, Monique Sypkens, Carene Mekertichyan, Jean Murrillo,
Andrea Nguyen, Essence Brown, Soda Pepsi, Juli Zanata, Regina Gomez

Photo Credit: Paul Tully
I was taking a Creative Writing survey class at UC Berkeley, and my instructor was Professor Melanie Abrams had finished teaching us poetry. We were now transitioning into theater writing: playwriting. By this time in my life I had been screenwriting short films with Inner City Filmmakers, and small television segments for work at Univision and for fun at Pasadena City College.  However, I had never tried playwriting. I had seen plays and musicals, but never attempted to write one. And in this experimental phase of new things that are fun and strange - I wrote "GUYS" a one-act short play.  A ridiculous scene between three people in a love triangle, inspired by true events...only exaggerated. Like, very exaggerated. Lucky for me, there are other people out in the world who enjoy exaggerated - strange - satirical - comedic - and immature baby plays like "GUYS." Thank you for accepting my baby play Urban Theatre Movement, and for letting me direct my own play. Thank you Marilyn Fitoria for Assistant Directing. Thank you actors: I am blown away by my actors: Carene Mekertichyan (playing Liz), Juan Amador (playing Kevin), and Garrett Ward (aka Michael). They took this baby play to the next level, and I am laughing and remember college days thanks to them. Urban Theatre Movement presents URBAN LEGENDS: Circus Sans Politique One Acts (#UTMCircus) is currently in tech. The show keeps getting funnier and stranger. * It would mean so much if the strange, weird, lonely souls of Los Angeles (+ beyond) would come to watch our show. All the plays are hilarious, and all the people involved are rock stars. Get inspired, wired, and seduced. Come to #UTMCircus this Friday, April 27th at 8:00pm. Did I mention we also have burlesque - burlesque? 


Urban Theatre Movement presents URBAN LEGENDS: Circus Sans Politique
opens Friday, April 27, 2018. 

Location: Atwater Village Theater
Address: 3269 Casitas Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 
Tickets: https://utmcircus.bpt.me/
Dates: April 27-May, 27
Days: Fridays & Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays 2pm





Comments