"LET" a post july 4th poem

This Latinx art student has the right to question everything.

The fireworks on the fourth confused me this year. I talked with my film buddies - The Matriarchy Team - Patricia Zamorano and Lauren Ballesteros, and we discussed how there is a lot more work to be done. Our Latinx history is rooted in multiplicity. Its history of being both the oppressed and the oppressor; the colonized and colonizer. My journey as an immigrant was to assimilate as soon as possible. Accepting terms like, "You're one of the good ones," in my young professional life later came back to haunt me as I began to understand that comment is an insult to me and my community. Individualism or the "American way" is divisive. Now the practice of returning to community is essential and revolutionary to me. 

Liberation is a practice. Anti-racist work is a practice. This will not be solved overnight. 

My personal goal is to stop centering whiteness in the work. I'm still shedding this off of me, and it will be evident in this imperfect and unfinished poem. My goal is to center more joy in the work; so that joy is what shakes me awake into Action. 

For now, my practice with The Matriarchy team is to write poetry to help us remember how we got to this place and to envision where we can go. This poem is unfinished, and I am still learning. Come as you are - I keep hearing from Black Lives Matter organizers - We want you imperfect rather than not there at all. So here I am expressing my imperfect self, shedding lies, and trying to find more joy in the work. The poem is about my personal investigation towards the ritual of pledging allegiance to the USA as a child immigrant; learning the words even before I could fully understand the English language.

May you be safe and loved out there in your journey.

#BlackLivesMatter
#BlackTransLivesMatter
#AbolishICE
#ReleasetheChildren
#ReleasetheFamillies
#DefundthePolice
#PeoplesBudgetLA
#AmplifyLA

______________________________

LET

By Rosa Lisbeth Navarrete

Freedom is breath in cells 
Internal wells 
Of unpracticed self assuredness 
Power from within 
Freedom is blood that sings
Music from our past 
And we are here because 
Love is fierce and fast 

Freedom turns its back 
To rules and deadlines and fools 
Trying to tell you how to live your life
There is no formula for the 
thing you want so badly.
The thing that makes you forget
The thing that makes you hungry
The thing that causes regret
The thing that flounders Practice
The thing that always changes its name.
Intentionally not familiar to your tongue
Makes you second guess your genius 
Until you stand there only knowing you want to belong…

You’re not a child anymore, yet 
Your hand is on your chest
You pledge to things unspeakable 
Unknowingly recite the rules that will protect the monster
Designed to destroy you 
Recite the rules that will protect the monster 
Designed to destroy you
Incite the monster
Designed to destroy you
Respite - detention 
Respite - homelessness
Respite - femicide
Respite - incarcerated
Respite - breathless

You are taught about self-sabotage, and you think it's just a stage
But we’re ingrained to hate ourselves and thus we walk with shame
Until that moment comes - seE -
That moment when you finally feel free
And it’s not going to be an external force
It’s a quiet freedom and indigenous course.
A blood memory that your lineage is pulsing 
Through your veins, through your dreams, 
through your own need for answers.
Even this language is full of the bastards.

You’re going to dig on your own 
Find your hand off your chest
Liberate your fingers
Embrace the unrest.
Because freedom is a practice of Love.

Now repeat after me…
I pledge allegiance to the land
Which provides the wisdom I know
And also to water, which swims in me
One body, under sky, with the power to artfully Liberate my mind.

<>
_____

Comments