Reflections on Co-Directing GARGOYLES for Page to the Stage: That's What She Said


Gargoyles written by Diana Burbano | 
Project La Femme at The Curtis Theater | Photos by Amber Scott

I'm catching up on some theater memories from times of yore (last year).  Tonight I will share about my time with Gargoyles, the brain child of playwright and actor, Diana Burbano who belongs to The Breath of Fire Theater Ensemble

In 2019, I signed up to be part of Project La Femme's PAGE TO THE STAGE: THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID Playwright's Festival at the Curtis Theatre for womxn writers. I originally signed up to be an Assistant Director to the multi-talented Heather Enriquez on a hysterical and poignant piece by S.M. Motes, titled Butterfly in the Ashes. Then my role shifted when I accepted the invitation to co-direct with Elvia Susana Rubalcava. I jumped on to support Elvia and the team, and thus became the second director for Diana Burbano's reading of GARGOYLES, a full length play. Elvia gave me full reign, but I was not alone. I had the support of The Curtis Theatre, the women of Project La Femme, the cast, and my guardian angel - Assistant Director, Lorena Ortega. 

Mind you, this was in August. I gave birth to my son in March earlier that year, and he was just a few months old when this all happened. I took him and his stroller along the ride when possible. 

The actors and I first met at the Breath of Fire Theatre Ensemble rehearsal space in Santa Ana. On the first night, Elvia and Lorena were present to introduce me, talk about transitions, and also provide rehearsal details. The reading went wonderful, and I was instantly excited to be immersed in the world of classic cinema and post war circumstances with a British soldier. I don't want to give much away, but please look up the work of Anna Coleman Ladd. An artist who helped lives of men after they were disfigured by injuries at war. 

After the reading, we jumped into the final week of rehearsals, which included tech and dress. Everything was quick. Big shout out to Stage Manager and Designer, Alex Eastman, who kept it all together from the booth.

I am not going to lie.

I second guessed myself a lot in this process, and I had follow up questions for writer Diana Burbano and Elvia Susana Rubalcava. Sometimes the words were helpful, and sometimes I would overthink things - get stressed - but the time had come for the show.  

I can still hear Elvia telling me, "You got this." I don't know how many rodeos one has to do before they get fully confident, but I suppose I still have more to accomplish. I knew in my gut things were going to be okay because the writer's work is strong and compelling. The space lent itself to the eerie world. The actors - though at different levels - were all Latinx (woohoo) and supported each other before, during, and after the process. Lorena kept me on my toes.

Despite having just three rehearsals, and only one of those rehearsal with the entire cast present - the show went great!

Gargoyles followed the story of a British soldier who after fighting in the first world war uses a tin mask to cover his disfigured face. The soldier's story is paralleled with a retired film star turned artist. Their paths cross when the retired film star's young daughter finds herself enthralled in the soldier's world. I look forward to the day the show gets produced. It deserves a stage and a powerful production hub to give it the tender, love, and care it truly deserves. 

Diana Burbano is a prolific wrier, and you can see more of her works on her website here - dianaburbano.com

Below are some images of our reading. Big shout out to The Curtis Theater, Heather Enriquez, Elvia Susana Rubalcava, Diana Burbano, Lorena Ortega, and all the wonderful talent on the stage - Angela Moore, Aurora Hale, Scott Rydelski, Shanelle Darlene, and Cesar Souza. I look forward to working with all of you over and over again.

Stay safe out there. 

Shanelle Darlene and Aurora Hale in Gargoyles by Diana Burbano.
Shanelle Darlene & Aurora Hale in 
Gargoyles by Diana Burbano

Scott Rydelski as The Soldier.

Aurora Hale as La Virgensita.

The talented Angela Moore as the film star.

Shanelle Darlene, Cesar Souza, Scott Rydelski.



Articles: 




#RepresentationMatters

Comments